Saturday, March 15, 2014

52 Ancestors - Lola Fae Wales

While discovering another surname, I came across the Wales family.

Lola was born in February of 1902 in Texas.  She was the youngest of 4 siblings. What struck me most about Lola was the fact that she had rented her own home in 1930 with 3 other ladies.  All were public school teachers.  The 1940 census shows her renting a room from another family.  This census also showed education and Lola is listed her education as C-5.  That could mean that she was in school to get her Master's degree or perhaps already obtained it.  She is the first family member of either gender, that I know of, that has obtained such a high degree.  I feel this sense of awe of Lola because during that time, I believe, that women were expected to stay home and be wives and mothers instead of getting an education.  I can't find any records of her being married and her gravestone has her maiden name.

No comments:

Post a Comment